Brand identity is the core of how a company distinguishes itself from others, not unlike your own personality, it’s that thing which makes you different than everyone else. If a company is keen on being noticed, building a strong brand identity is essential and will shape the company and its future.
Let’s say that you want to fit into a certain crowd, you need to be able to relate to that crowd in every way. From the way you dress, to what you say and how you say it, you need to look the part and act it too. Brand identity is the same thing, but for companies. An example of excellent branding, is Impressive. Click here to view an example of brand identity with impressive digital.
So, What is a Brand Identity?
The most common definition is the assembly of all of the elements which make up your company.
– A brand name
– A slogan or a tagline
– A style
– A typeface
– Colours and graphic styles
– A company logo
– A company tone or a voice
How to Build a Strong Brand Identity?
The first thing to know is who you are as a brand:
– The mission of the company, why does it exist?
– What are the values or beliefs which make up the company?
– How does the company differentiate itself from its competition?
– Personality. What kind of personality does the company have?
– Voice, how does the brand communicate?
Having all of these elements does not mean that brand identity will be effective, a strong brand identity needs to work for the people inside the company (employees) and the people outside as well (customers).
Proper brand identity also needs to:
– Stand out among the competition,
– Be memorable and create a visual impact
– Be able to grow with the company over time
– Be cohesive
Brand identity is what sets a company apart from all of the rest and it shows customers that you understand their needs. Putting it together might seem daunting at first, but following all of the basic steps will get you going in the right direction.